We closed the petition. All signatures will be transfered to the Belarusian President. We want to thank everybody who has supported our petition.
Libereco, Amnesty International, Young European Federalists, Civil Rights Defenders, Human Rights in Belarus, Human Rights House Foundation, Ostgruppen, People in Need, Codap, Belarusian Human Rights House, Wolna Bialorus and Belaruswatch have initiated a joint online petition on 10 December 2010. Until 31 January 2011 more than 2500 have signed the petition.
Please find below the petition's demands for respect of human rights in Belarus.
To find out more about human rights in Belarus please visit the websites of the NGOs who started the joint petition:
Text of the Online Petition (10 December 2010 - 31 January 2011):
Petition to the acting Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenka and to the 19 December 2010 newly elected President of the Republic of Belarus
Dear Mr. President
We, the undersigned, urge you to ensure that Belarus fulfils its human rights obligations, in particular, with the implementation of the following recommendations:
- to declare an immediate moratorium on executions and to abolish the death penalty
- to guarantee the rights to freedom of expression, assembly, association, press and religion to all people in Belarus
- to allow peaceful demostrations to take place
- to ensure that no one is detained, arrested or charged under any Article of the Criminal or Administrative Codes of Belarus as a result of their peaceful participation in demonstrations
- to ensure that human rights defenders, journalists and other civil society activists are able to carry out their legitimate work free from persecution, harassment and intimidation
- to simplify the registration procedures for non-governmental organizations
- to abolish Article 193.1 of the Criminal Code, which criminalises activities on behalf of an unregistered non-governmental organisation
Learn about recent actions to support the improssoned and support them yourself: