Together with other civil society organisations, initiatives and individuals, Libereco calls for people to come to Belarusian embassies and consulates on 9 August and to commemorate the victims of the ongoing terror in Belarus with flowers, candles and photos.
… for an opening of society
… for elementary freedoms and rights of every human being
… for a constitutional state on a democratic basis
… for an end to the arbitrary rule of Alexander Lukashenka and his regime.
Both before election day, and during the “election” at the polls, and especially after the “election” stolen by the regime, the Belarusian people have made it unmistakably clear to their own country and to the world community that they have made precisely one choice and no other: a choice for the end of the Lukashenka regime.
In the summer and autumn of 2020, Belarus has changed irrevocably: Lukashenka and his regime understand this. Lukashenka and his security apparatus know that they can only hold on to power through brutal repression and violence, through the total suppression of any social movement. This is exactly what they are doing. The entire power apparatus, consolidated over many years, now serves only one purpose – maintaining power for the regime through the total repression of society.
We mourn the victims of terror in Belarus
We mourn the victims of the regime’s ongoing terror against its own people – the dead as well as the tortured, the abused, the repressed and those currently imprisoned for political reasons.
We call for people to come to the Belarusian Embassy in Berlin (Am Treptower Park 32) on Monday, 9 August, between 4:30 and 8:00 pm, to commemorate the victims of the ongoing terror in Belarus with flowers, candles and photos. A gathering has been announced for the place across the street (at the Alternative Embassy).
Demonstrations and rallies will also take place at other locations on the day:
- Berlin: 4:30 to 8:00 pm, Embassy of the Republic of Belarus (Am Treptower Park 32)
- Berlin: from 7:00 pm, Pilecki Institut (Pariser Platz 4A), Book presentation “Voices of Hope”, poems and texts of the Belarusian freedom movement
- Munich: from 5:00 pm, march to the Consulate of the Republic of Belarus, meeting point at U-Bahn station Giesing,
- Frankfurt: 6:30 to 8:30 pm, demonstration one the Zeil (at Brockhaus-Brunnen)
- Jena: 5:00 to 7:00 pm, demonstration at the Holzmarkt