There are currently over 300 political prisoners in Belarus. We present platforms and initiatives, and give advice on how you can support these people directly and indirectly from abroad.
There are currently over 300 political prisoners in Belarus. This includes women and men, young and old, from all strata of Belarusian society, who have exercised their basic rights to freedom of expression and assembly and have campaigned for a free, democratic Belarus.
These people can be helped in various ways. We present platforms and initiatives, and give advice on how you can support political prisoners in Belarus directly and indirectly from abroad.
Build up political pressure
- Contact members of parliament in your constituency and call on them to demand the freedom of political prisoners. If they have not already done so, parliamentarians can adopt a prisoner. Get involved with the issue in committees, in caucuses, and especially in the public sphere. For example, public representatives and elected office holders can call on the Belarusian authorities to release all political prisoners.
- You yourself can sign petitions on the topic, for example the petition started by us for the release of all political prisoners in Belarus.
Create publicity for the situation in Belarus
- Share information about the situation of political prisoners on your social media channels and use the hashtag #WeStandBYyou. Our partner organization Viasna reports daily on new cases and sentences.
- Befriend political prisoners through the portal Politzek.me (available in English and Russian). As part of this symbolic friendship, you can draw attention to the fate of political prisoners by actions such as for example performing creative tasks, wearing black, or posting pictures on Instagram.
Support the political prisoners directly
- Congratulate the prisoners to their birthdays! We publish a monthly list with names and addresses of prisoners to whom you can write. Here you can find the list of birthdays in the next two months.
- You can also write a letter or send a postcard to political prisoners regardless of occasions such as birthdays. To ensure that everyone receives a letter, we have developed a random generator that suggests another prisoner when you (re)load the following page. There you will also get advice on what you should keep in mind when writing.
- Alternatively, you can send your letter via the website Vkletochku.org (available in English and Russian). Volunteers in Belarus will translate your text, create a cover letter, and send it to the prisoner you had selected. Replies will be sent to you as a scan by email. To cover the costs of envelopes and postage, you can also support this purely voluntary project financially.
- On the website Dissidentby.com (currently only available in Russian) you can find out how to provide financial help to the families of prisoners and how to help prisoners directly by transferring money to the prison shop, or sending them a parcel. On the website you can also adopt prisoners yourself and indicate to which prisoner you have already sent a letter.